If they’re a chocolate fan, this vegan chocolate cake recipe is bound to be a new favorite. Want to know what makes this cake truly magical? It’s a cruelty-free indulgence that’s
- has fair trade ingredients, and
- contains Regenerative Organic Certified® Cocoa
The star of this vegan chocolate cake recipe is our Magic All-One Chocolate, so be sure to check it out in our shop!
Vegan Chocolate Cake Recipe with Chocolate Ganache
Note: This recipe will make 1 single layer 8 inch round cake or 12 cupcakes. Double amounts for double layer cake.
- 1 bar of Dr. Bronner’s Salted Dark Chocolate, melted
- 3 TBSP Dr. Bronner’s Regenerative Organic Certified® Virgin Coconut Oil, melted
- 1 cup plant based milk (I use oat, almond, coconut, or hemp)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup cane sugar
- 1 cup gluten-free 1-1 flour
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp fine kosher salt
- (optional) edible flowers for decoration
Whipped Ganache Ingredients
- 4 oz. Dr. Bronner’s chocolate (1 full bar+ 2 segments from additional bar), chopped fine
- 1/2 cup Coconut Cream. Refrigerate can at least 8 hours and use only the solid part.
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar (omit for a less sweet icing)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Prepare cake pan with a parchment circle cut to fit bottom of pan and place in pan.
- Measure plant-based milk and apple cider vinegar and combine. Let stand for at least 10 minutes.
- Melt chocolate. To microwave: heat 15-30 second intervals depending on microwave until melted taking care not to scorch chocolate. For double boiler: Heat double boiler over medium heat until chocolate is melted taking care to not overheat chocolate.
- Add melted coconut oil to melted chocolate. Stir to combine ingredients. Set it aside.
- In a small bowl measure flour, baking soda, kosher salt. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Using a mixing bowl for a stand mixer or for an electric hand mixer, measure sugar and add to bowl. Add plant milk with apple cider vinegar mixture and vanilla. Mix on medium until ingredients are mixed well.
- With the mixer on medium, drizzle chocolate and oil mixture on medium speed until incorporated.
- Turn mixture down to low and add flour mixture.
- Mix at medium speed until ingredients are mixed. This takes about 60 seconds. Do not over beat.
- Pour cake batter into parchment-lined cake pan.
- Bake 15-20 minutes. Depending on oven, check at 15 minutes with the toothpick test. (Poke a toothpick into the center of cake. The cake is done when the toothpick is removed, if it comes out clean) If cake is not done, bake at 5-minute increments until the toothpick comes out clean. Cake should also feel firm in the center.
- Remove from oven and cool cake. You can speed up this process by placing a cake that has cooled for about 10 minutes into the fridge or freezer.
Whipped Ganache Frosting:
- Chop chocolate very fine. The finer the chocolate the easier it is to melt chocolate in step 3 below. Place in a heat safe bowl.
- Heat thick/solid refrigerated coconut cream either on stove top or in a microwave until hot. DO NOT BOIL. The optimal temperature is 120-130F.
- Once coconut cream has been heated, pour over chopped chocolate. Let stand for 2 minutes. The heat of the cream will melt chocolate.
- Stir chocolate with a whisk until chocolate and coconut cream have been combined.
- Place ganache into fridge for 3-4 hours until ganache is set up and firm. You can speed up the process by placing it in the freezer for 30 minutes. Be sure to check the ganache at 30 minutes, as you don’t want the ganache to freeze.
- Once ganache has set, using a stand mixer, put ganache in mixing bowl and on low to medium speed start to whip your ganache. Add confectioners’ sugar if you prefer a sweeter icing or omit. As you whip the ganache it will lighten in color. Beat until it becomes slightly fluffy and lighter in color. Do not overbeat as it can cause the ganache to separate.
- Frost cooled cake with whipped ganache.
- Don’t forget to lick the beaters. 😊
Vegan Chocolate Cake Recipe Tips:
- Decorate cake with edible flowers & chocolate shavings
- While cake is in oven, make ganache.
- Ganache – coconut cream needs to be steaming, but not boiling.
- Do not put ganache in freezer, will loose shine. Keep in fridge.