This policy has also been updated to comply with the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) and any terms defined in the CCPA have the same meaning when used in this notice.
If you have any questions or concerns about the privacy or security of your information, you may contact us using the contact information provided herein or on our Contact page.
We may automatically collect identifiable information, such as Internet Protocol (“IP”), pages viewed, computer type, screen resolution, operating system version, Internet browser type and version, through cookies, pixel tags, web beacons, and other technologies, and other data (“Automatically Collected Information”).
Session Analytics Information. We may automatically collect information about your hardware devices (i.e., your computer or mobile device) when you access the Site. For example, we may collect your IP address, which is the number automatically assigned to your computer or mobile device whenever you access the Internet, as well as information about the type of Web browser software you use and the referring Web site, if any. Your IP address does not typically identify your name or email address. We use your IP address to help diagnose problems with our service and to administer the Site. We may also collect information about your activity on the Site, such as the time and duration of your visit, the sections of the Site that you visit, the search terms you use and the products you add to your shopping cart.
Persistent Identifiers. We automatically collect information through the use of “cookies.” A cookie is an alphanumeric file that a Web site puts on your hard drive or mobile device so that it can remember something about you while you are using the Web site or when you return to the Web site. The Site may use a “unique device identifier” (or “UDID”) in order to remember your device each time you use it. We also automatically collect information through the use of “web beacons.” A web beacon, also known as an Internet tag, pixel tag or clear GIF, is used to transmit information back to a web server. We and our service providers and business partners may collect information about your online activities over time and across third-party websites when you use our Sites. These technologies make it easier for you to use the Site. We use them in order to retain the contents in your shopping cart while you are checking out other areas of the Site and to provide you with relevant advertisements. We also use them to gather certain aggregate usage information about the numbers and frequency of visitors to the Site and how they interact with the Site. This data helps us improve the appearance and usability of the Site.
Cookies may remain on your hard drive or device after you cease using the Site. You may decline to accept cookies by modifying your Web browser settings, including enabling global privacy controls. If you choose to decline cookies, however, you may not be able to sign up for or use certain features of the Site that depend on your Web browser accepting cookies.
Use of Automatically Collected Information
The information collected by automated means for our business purposes may include:
- Details about the devices that are used to access our Site (such as the IP address, and type of operating system and web browser)
- Dates and times of visits to, and use of, our Site
- Information about how our Site is used (such as the content that is viewed on our Site, how users navigate between webpages, and the date and time of access)
- Details about how individuals interact with our emails (such as whether the email is opened and which links are clicked in the email)
- URLs that refer visitors to our Sites
- Search terms used to reach our Site
- Targeted behavioral advertising
Site Analytics. We may work with third-party service providers, such as Klaviyo, who use the technologies described in this section to conduct website analytics to help us track and understand how visitors use our Site.
In most cases, we collect Personal Information directly or indirectly from you or from third parties. Below are descriptions of the different types of Personal Information we process and the sources from which we obtain them:
- Identifiers and Customer Records, such as name, shipping address, billing address, email address, phone number, username, and credit card number, which can be used to contact or identify you, that we need in order to process your orders, communicate with you or provide you with information that you request. We also offer a wide selection of blogs, newsletters, articles, and videos on topics of interest to our readers and customers with ideas about the natural market place, fair trade, living “green” and more. If you sign up to receive such information, through our Services or physical locations, we will ask you to provide your first and last name, and email address. If you choose to contact us for any purpose, we will collect your contact details, your name, and the content, date and time of your message, as well as our reply and any follow up action we take in relation to your inquiry.
- Internet or other similar network activities, such as your internet connection, the equipment you use to access our Site, location, language preferences, and/or usage details and other communications with our network and systems. This information is collected automatically as you navigate through the Site.
- Geolocation, we may collect information through your computer about your general location.
- Commercial information, including your online orders. If you place an order online on our Site, we collect information about your purchases and the information necessary for shipping products that you purchase.
- Inferences drawn from other personal information, including information we receive from other sources. We may receive personal information about you from other sources, including third parties that help us update, expand, and analyze our records, identify new customers, or prevent or detect fraud. We may also receive information about you from social media platforms, for example when you interact with us on those platforms or access our social media content. We may use this information to draw inferences about you. The information we may receive from third parties is governed by the privacy settings, policies, and/or procedures of the relevant social media platform or third party we receive the information from, and we encourage you to review them.
Personal Information to Provide Services. We use Personal Information to process and fulfill any orders that you have placed, contact you about our products and services, send you our catalog, personalize your experience with us, including by presenting products or offers tailored to you, and allow you to use, communicate and interact with others on our Site, including our product review system. This may include sharing information with third parties that provide us with services such as website hosting, data analysis, payment processing, order fulfillment, infrastructure provision, information technology services, customer service, e-mail delivery services, credit card processing, auditing, training, and other similar services. These third parties may have access to Personal Information necessary to perform their functions but may not use it for other purposes.
We use your shipping address to ship your products and send catalogs and other mailings to you. We use your billing address, if different than your shipping address, to verify your billing information. You may opt out of receiving catalogs or other mailings from us; see the “How to Remove Your Name from Our Newsletter, Mailing, Sharing or Email Lists” section below. Financial information that is collected is used to bill you for products that you request. Contact information that is collected is used to send orders and information about our company to you. You may opt out of receiving future mailings; see the “How to Remove Your Name from Our Newsletter, Mailing, Sharing or Email Lists” section below.
Email and Telephone Communications. We do use “browse abandon” and “cart abandon” tracking functions (if we have your email address and you visit our store, we will send you an email about the products you viewed or left in your cart). If you receive an unwanted email from us, you can use the unsubscribe link found at the bottom of the email to opt out of receiving future emails. We will process your request within a reasonable time after receipt. Note that you will continue to receive transaction-related emails regarding products or services you have requested. We may also contact you from time to time via telephone regarding customer service inquiries pertaining to your orders.
- Online Activity
- Commercial Information
We do not have actual knowledge that we sell personal information of minors under 16 years of age. We do not sell or share sensitive personal information.
Newsletter Marketing. If you sign up for our newsletter, we will send you emails. These emails will inform you about our launch of new products, about special sales, about promotional offers from our partners, about environmental issues we think are important, about potential employment opportunities with Dr. Bronner’s that you may find of interest, and about other events taking place in stores near you. You may opt out of receiving future emails; see the “How to Remove Your Name from Our Newsletter, Mailing, Sharing or Email Lists” section below.
We do not disclose Personal Information about you to other companies, persons or agencies except for the purposes described below:
Service Providers: We employ other companies and individuals to perform certain Web site and other business functions on our behalf. Examples include operating and maintaining our Site, taking orders, delivering packages, sending postal mail and email, managing customer lists, analyzing data, providing marketing consultation and assistance, distributing customer surveys, processing credit card payments and providing customer service. These companies and individuals have access only to personal information needed to perform their work and they may not use it for any other purposes.
Sharing: We may share your name and postal address with other reputable companies so they may send you catalogs or information about products of potential interest to you. We do not share credit card information or email addresses with these third parties. You may opt out of receiving catalogs or other mailings from third parties; see the “How to Remove Your Name from Our Newsletter, Mailing, Sharing or Email Lists” section below.
With Your Consent: Other than as set out above, you will receive notice whenever information about you might be shared with third parties, and you will have the opportunity to choose not to share that information.
You may initially choose to receive or decline to receive communications from us at the point where we request information about you. You may also later, at any time, use the following options to correct your information or remove your information from our databases so as not to receive future communications, or to no longer receive our services, or to not share your name and address with third parties:
Send an email to: email@example.com
Send postal mail to: Dr. Bronner’s, P.O. Box 1958, Vista, CA 92085
Call our Customer Service Department directly at: 844-937-2551
In certain cases, where available, use the “opt out” or “unsubscribe” option included in the communication itself.
California residents and residents of other states with privacy laws may have additional personal information rights and choices. Please see below Your California and Other State Privacy Rights for more information.
We want you to feel confident about using and making purchases through the Services, and we are committed to protecting the personal information we collect. While we cannot completely guarantee the security of your information, we have implemented industry-standard and appropriate physical, electronic and managerial security procedures to help protect the personal information that you provide to us.
Personal Information Sales and Sharing Opt-Out and Opt-In Rights
If you are age 16 or older, you may have the right to direct us to not sell your personal information or share it for cross-context behavioral advertising at any time. We do not sell or share the personal information of consumers we actually know are less than 16 years old. Consumers who opt-in to personal information sales or sharing may opt-out of future sales or sharing at any time.
To exercise the right to opt-out, you (or your authorized representative) may submit a request to us by visiting the following Internet Web page link: Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information
Once you make an opt-out request, we will wait at least twelve (12) months before asking you to reauthorize personal information sales or sharing. However, you may change your mind and opt back in to personal information sales or sharing at any time by:
You do not need to create an account with us to exercise your opt-out rights. We will only use personal information provided in an opt-out request to review and comply with the request.
Additional Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Personal Information
You may have specific rights regarding your personal information under certain laws, including the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA). This section describes the rights you may have and explains how to exercise those rights. It also provides you with information about your right to appeal if we deny your request.
Access to Specific Information and Data Portability Rights
You may have the right to request that we disclose certain information to you about our collection and use of your personal information over the past 12 months. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request (see Exercising Rights), we will disclose to you:
- The categories of personal information we collected about you.
- The categories of sources for the personal information we collected about you.
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling that personal information.
- The categories of third parties with whom we share that personal information.
- If we sold, shared for cross-context behavioral advertising purposes or disclosed your personal information for a business purpose, three separate lists disclosing:
- sales, identifying the personal information categories that each category of recipient purchased;
- shares, identifying the personal categories that each category of recipient received for cross-context behavioral purposes; and
- disclosures for a business purpose, identifying the personal information categories that each category of recipient obtained.
- The specific pieces of personal information we collected about you (also called a data portability request).
Deletion Request Rights
You have the right to request that we delete any of your personal information that we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request (see Exercising Rights), we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete) your personal information from our records, unless an exception applies. If an exception applies, we will advise you of the applicable exception and the reason for denying your request.
Correction Request Rights
You have the right to request that we correct any inaccurate personal information we may hold about you. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request (see Exercising Rights), we will use commercially reasonable efforts to correct inaccurate personal information, taking into the account the nature of the personal information and the purpose for our processing.
Exercising Rights; Designating an Authorized Agent
To exercise your rights described above, or to designate an authorized agent, please submit a verifiable consumer request to us by:
- Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Postal mail to: Dr. Bronner’s, P.O. Box 1958, Vista, CA 92085
- Telephone to our Customer Service Department directly at: 844-937-2551
Please provide sufficient detail in your request such that it allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it. We may also need to validate your request. In order to validate your request, we may ask you for the following information: name, street address, city, state, zip code, and email address. Only you or an authorized agent may make a request related to your personal information. To designate an authorized agent to make a request on your behalf, please provide us with a power of attorney or other legally binding written document signed by you and identifying your agent. We may also verify the identity of your designated agent.
We will use the information you provide to verify your request against the records we maintain. We will not use the information you provide to verify your request for any other purpose. We cannot respond to your request or provide you with personal information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the personal information relates to you.
You may appeal a denial of your request by emailing us at email@example.com.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your rights.
California’s “Shine the Light” Law
In addition to the rights described above, California’s “Shine the Light” law (Civil Code Section §1798.83) permits California residents that have an established business relationship with us to request certain information regarding our disclosure of certain types of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes during the immediately preceding calendar year.
To make such a request, please send an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will generally retain information about you for so long as we have a legal or business purpose for it or a legal requirement to maintain it. The criteria used to determine our retention periods include:
- The length of time we have an ongoing relationship with you and provide services to you (for example, for as long as you are a customer or keep purchasing our products or using our services) and the length of time thereafter during which we may have a legitimate need to reference your personal information to address issues that may arise;
- Whether there is a legal obligation to which we are subject (for example, certain laws require us to keep records for a certain period of time before we can delete them); or
- Whether retention is advisable in light of our legal position (such as in regard to applicable statutes of limitations, litigation or regulatory investigations).
Our Services are not intended for children under 16 years of age. No one under age 16 may provide any information to or on the Site. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 16. If you are under 16, do not provide any information on this Site or use any of the interactive or public comment features of this Site, or provide any information about yourself to us, including your name and email address. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under 16 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 16, please contact us at email@example.com.
The Website and your information is hosted in the United States. If you are visiting our Site from outside the United States, your information may be transferred to, stored in, and processed in, the United States or any other country where we or our affiliates, subsidiaries, or third-party service providers maintain facilities.
The data protection and other applicable laws of the United States or other countries may not be the same as those laws or regulations in your country.
Customers Outside of the United States and Canada
We do not ship our products outside of the United States or Canada, so if you’re visiting our website from outside of these areas, then please visit our international distributors section, where you can find our websites for international visitors and where you can find a distributor near you that ships to your country.
We have implemented measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure. All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers behind firewalls.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. We urge you to be careful about giving out information in public areas of the Sites like message boards. The information you share in public areas may be viewed by any user of the Sites.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to our Site. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Site.
Send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Send postal mail to: Dr. Bronner’s, P.O. Box 1958, Vista, CA 92085
Call our Customer Service Department directly at: 844-937-2551
EFFECTIVE DATE: October 6, 2014
LAST REVIEWED ON: March 13, 2023