PUMPKIN SPICE MAGIC!
What is it about pumpkin spice that we love so much? Perhaps its Magic is in the familiar taste and smell of cinnamon & nutmeg on a crisp fall morning. Something about the nostalgia of it all. Leaves changing colors, sweater weather, Halloween right around the corner.
A ZERO WASTE HALLOWEEN
For me, it brings me back to when I used to grow my own pumpkins. Sometimes I would roast & process my smaller pumpkins into homemade pumpkin puree for my favorite fall recipes.
Fast forward to last year when I was working as the All-One chef for Dr. Bronner’s at our epic annual Halloween costume party. We had a few leftover pumpkins from the Halloween celebration, and I thought – why let these go to waste? In true All-One spirit, I was determined to make good use of our pumpkins.
GLUTEN-FREE, VEGAN, DELICIOUS!
And so, I came up with this pumpkin spice cookie recipe, made even more indulgent with chunks of our rich, dark Magic All-One Chocolate. But you certainly don’t need to make your own pumpkin puree for this cookie recipe – any canned organic pumpkin will do the trick.
The rest is simple! This Halloween recipe is quick & easy enough for anyone to make at home, using all vegan, gluten-free, and organic ingredients. The end result is a cakey consistency, rather than a crispy cookie, which is a nice complement to the savory pumpkin flavor.
SHOP MAGIC ALL-ONE CHOCOLATE
This recipe calls for both our Regenerative Organic Certified™ (ROC™) Virgin Coconut Oil and our Salted Dark chocolate, on the path to becoming ROC in 2023!
Using these regenerative organic ingredients ensures your delicious treat is made with products that enrich the lives of everyone along the supply chain. And, I’m excited to share that you can now stock up on our chocolate on drbronner.com!
- 2 Magic All-One Chocolate Salted Dark bars, chopped into small pieces.
- ⅓ cup Dr. Bronner’s Regenerative Organic Certified™ (ROC™) Virgin Coconut Oil, melted
- ½ cup organic coconut sugar
- ⅓ cup organic cane sugar
- 1 flax egg (mix 1 tablespoon ground organic flaxseed with 3 tablespoons of water, let sit for 15 minutes)
- ½ cup organic pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups 1-1 gluten-free all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ cup chopped pecans
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Make flax egg (1 TBSP ground flaxseed with 3 TBSP water). Mix together and let stand for 10 minutes.
3. Chop chocolate into small pieces resembling small chips.
4. Add melted coconut oil and sugars to a mixing bowl. Beat with a wooden spoon to combine.
5. Add pumpkin puree, flax egg, and vanilla extract. Mix well.
6. In another bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, and ginger.
7. Combine flour mixture into wet ingredients and mix everything together.
8. Chill the dough in the refrigerator for 1 hour to make it easier to handle. You can also freeze the dough for 20 to 30 minutes. Dough can be prepped ahead of time and stored in refrigerator or freezer. Dough can be formed into cookie balls and frozen for later use.
9. Roll the dough into balls. Place them on lined baking sheets.
10. Bake for 14 to 16 minutes, until golden brown on top. Let cookies rest on baking sheets for 5 to 10 minutes before moving them to wire racks to cool completely.