One Year… One Bottle: Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soap “Start 2013 with a Clean Conscience”
January 1, 2013
Save those pennies and start the New Year with a clean conscience using Dr. Bronner’s magic organic soap, the USA’s no.1 selling natural soap brand is the ultimate multi tasking and long lasting beauty product. Not only does it’s bright, retro packaging sit looking pretty and chic in your bathroom but it’s 18-in-1 uses means it can be used to wash your face, hands and body; cleaning your fruit and vegetables; scrubbing your bathroom, kitchen or clothes; cleaning your mouth and teeth on camping trips; making it into a deodorant or pest spray; or even giving your pets the once over!
What’s more, Dr. Bronner’s focuses on affordability and versatility, making these extra-large multi use liquid soaps the perfect household accessory. Each 944ml bottle costs just £12.99, and can be purchased from www.drbronner.co.uk. Make up artist Bobbi Brown, and celebrities, Natalie Portman, Eminem and Drew Barrymore all bathe with it.
Similar to other pioneering brands, Dr. Bronner’s takes sustainability and the labels ‘organic’ and ‘natural’ very seriously. Having always used natural ingredients, Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soaps became officially certified organic by the US Department of Agriculture in 2003, and each year the company gives away a large portion of profits (between 30% to 70%) to charities on everything from helping inner city youths go camping to organic standards enforcement.
The soaps are most popular for at-home washing, but are also the soap of choice for many campers and hikers. They contain no synthetic foaming agents, thickeners, preservatives, fragrances, dyes or whiteners and use 100% post consumer recycled (PCR) cylinder bottles and paper labels. Completely biodegradable, the soaps are made with certified Fair Trade and organic ingredients sourced from India, Ghana, Palestine, Israel, and Sri Lanka.
The dramatic exhortations on the labels of the soap packaging come from the mind of Dr. Emanuel Bronner, a third-generation master soap maker who spent his life renouncing hate and war on a personal mission to unite mankind. He was born in 1908 to the German-Jewish Heilbronner family, which had been practicing the traditional local craft since 1858. In 1929, Bronner, then aged 21, immigrated to the US working as a consultant soap manufacturer.
But following the death of his family in the Holocaust, he embarked on a mission to spread this message of world peace and the dangers of communism and fascism by giving public lectures on these subjects. His strong views landed him in a mental asylum in Chicago but Bronner escaped eight months later in 1948 and continued giving lectures in California. He also began making peppermint liquid soap under the ‘Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soaps’ brand. He gave away soap during his talks and when he realized people were taking it without listening to him speak, he started writing his philosophy on the bottle in tiny script.
These eccentric labels, featuring musings on everything from Hillel to Confucious, are still used today. In the early years the soap enjoyed a small but loyal following. With the emergence of 1960’s counterculture, sales rocketed on word of mouth as Dr. Bronner’s did not advertise. The soaps spread into health food stores across the US, and in recent years into mainstream shops.
Dr. Bronner’s is available at www.asos.com
To find your nearest stockist call t: 0845 072 5825
It is also available on the UK website: www.drbronner.co.uk
For further press information, to receive samples please contact
Lucy at The Spa PR Company
T: 020 7100 7018
Notes to editors:
Dr. Bronner recorded the “18 in 1 uses” on his label, which have been left mostly intact since his passing in 1997; however, people have told them many, many more uses for the soap than that. Here is his version. A more paraphrased one follows.
Dr. Bronner’s version:
- Soap bath
- Peppermint is nature’s own unsurpassed fragrant deodorant!
- A drop is best Mint Toothpaste; brushes dentures clean!
- A dash in water is the ideal Breath Freshener & Mouth Wash!
- Peppermint Oil Soap for Dispensers, Uniforms, Baby, Beach!
- Dilute for ideal Body Rub
- Foot Bath
- Hot Towel-Massage the entire body, always towards your heart.
- Silk, wool, washing clothes and dishes
- Body tingles head to toe – keeps cool!
- 3 dashes in water rinse most Sprays Off fruit & vegetables!
- 1/4 oz in qt H2O is Pest Spray!
- Dash, no rash Diaper-Soap!
- For everyday body-washing: Get wet and pour soap full-strength onto hands-washcloth-loofah. Lather up, scrub down, rinse off, and tingle fresh & clean.
- For other uses, dilute from one part soap into 40 parts water for light cleaning, to cutting it in half or using it full strength for heavy-duty grease-cutting jobs.
- For shampoo, though we now recommend our new Shikakai soaps for this, many people are fond of using it as such. The method of application is to wet hair and scalp very thoroughly, squirt some soap into hands and work into a lather. Wash hair, then rinse well. Afterwards use our new citrus hair rinse and leave-in conditioners as directed.
- For the laundry, use 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup for one regular load; adjust as needed depending on hardness of water. I’ve been told that adding a dash of baking soda makes it even better.
- For tooth brushing, apply a drop or two of Dr. Bronner’s Magic Soap to a wet toothbrush. Brush as you normally would, rinsing accordingly. Be careful about using more than a couple drops of soap, as you might start foaming at the mouth. Many people with sensitive or softer teeth like to use our soap as a toothpaste because it lacks abrasives.