Raw Material Inspector
Who We Are
Dr. Bronner’s is the top-selling natural brand of soap in North America and was ranked top midsize workplace in San Diego by the San Diego Tribune in both 2019 and 2020, based on anonymous employee surveys. Our supportive, positive work atmosphere comes from being a family-owned business that values employees as its greatest asset.
We are passionate about making the best products for human, home and Earth—and about using our business as a force for good! Known for setting up a global supply chain that respects the people and land that provide our raw materials, Dr. Bronner’s is proving that agriculture and manufacturing can be green and fair—be part of our movement!
Starting Salary: $26.00 Hourly
Benefits at a Glance
- Company-paid Full Medical (PPO), Dental, Vision for Employees & Family
- Annual Bonus – up to 10% of salary
- Profit Sharing Program –10% of salary + bonus fully funded by Dr. Bronner’s into your retirement account
- Bring Your Dog to Work Program
- Development & Training Programs
- 13 Paid Holidays
- Child Care Assistance
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Free Daily Vegan Lunches
- Green Team and Toastmasters
- Volunteer opportunities
Who You Are & What You’ll Do
You’re incredibly detailed-oriented and skilled in ensuring processes are meticulously followed to meet protocols. You’re familiar with lab equipment and are interested in performing tests to evaluate if products meet rigorous quality standards .
Your duties will include to:
- Prioritize material evaluation with production and warehouse staff as needed.
- Conduct sampling from the production floor or warehouse.
- Review Certificate of Analysis, Gas Chromatogram Results, Specification sheets, and any other paperwork.
- Organoleptically evaluate and compare the sample to target.
- Collect and record data, review and file all documents, and complete Inspection Report to recommend disposition to QC Supervisor.
- Support investigations in determining when rejections should require alternative or supporting inspection.
- Label, organize, and store raw material, work-in-progress, retains, and targets.
- Select, collect, and replace Targets/Control Samples every 3 months.
- Use lab equipment including but not limited to a refractometer, viscometer, and a hot plate to evaluate raw materials.
- Monitor shelf life of all raw materials to ensure FIFO.
- Write or review SOPs and WI documents for QC tasks as needed.
- Review, enter and update QC data in QMS Database System.
- Escalated Raw Material or WIP: Pull retains as needed. Oversee a panel of evaluators and execute a double-blind test. Determine if the product can be released for production or put-on QC Hold for further investigation and potential rework.
- Verify accurate inventory accounting of affected products for CAPA reports.
- Aid Shipping Department in questions on release status.
What You’ll Need to Succeed
- High school diploma or GED.
- Three years of progressive experience in a fast-paced, collaborative office, CPG, and/manufacturing environment.
- Strong and sensitive sense of smell.
- Good eyesight and sensitivity to color.
- Analytical ability to track and evaluate data and production processes.
- Math proficiency in Algebra or equivalent
- Familiarity with ISO, SQF, BRC, and/or ANSI standards and systems.
- Three years of experience in Quality Control, QA or QC laboratory, Raw Materials Evaluation, Personal care, consumer products, and/or manufacturing experience.
- Quality Control certification is a plus.
Get To Know Us
- Founded in 1948 by Emanuel Bronner
- Independent, family-owned
- Certified B-Corp
- Organic fair trade food & body care products
- Executive salaries capped at 5:1 the lowest paid fully vested position
- At least 1/3 of profits donated annually to activist and charitable efforts
Dr. Bronner’s is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.